Monday, August 20, 2012

"Try A Little Harder to Be a little Better" - Gordon B. Hinckley

“The good you have done, the kind words you have spoken, the love you have shown to others, can never be fully measured.” 
-Thomas S. Monson

http://www.colonial-funeralhome.com/jean-harris/

This link has Jean's obituary and a video tribute. I love the tribute!

I don't want this blog to be sappy, but I want to express to you all what an example my sweet mother-in-law was. And I'm not confident that I can do that with out being sappy.

When my phone rang at about 2:30 in the morning from Dens brother, my heart sunk. I knew what this call was. Jean, passed. After that call I couldn't sleep, so I started going through some of our pictures and letters that we had kept. Jean was an outstanding parent, and grandparent. You could tell the love she had for them when you said their names. Her love was unconditional.
I was able to be home with Dens family as they planned the funeral. Listening to the memories, and stories we all had of her was surreal. Listening to some of the stories I couldn't help but feel robbed. Our kids will never know their grandma. This was important to me. She fought some courageous battles in the last days. I felt it wasnt fair. I was told by someone, that made me kind of understand or accept it a little more.. "Maybe having the loved ones see the suffering, made it easier for us to let go" I'm thakful for those words. I love being with my in-laws. But to be there at a time like this and without Den was humbling. I felt that I was able to get to know each of them a little better in a more personal way. It was hard. Before Den left, he and I had a talk that the chance of her passing while he was underway was pretty good. And that the chance of him not being there for the funeral was even greater. Like I said in my last post, he assured me that if that were to happen he had no regrets, with his previous trip home to see her being so good. I tried to accept that talk we had. But couldn't. I wanted him home with his family, and me.
When she passed I called the redcross to get the message to him. In hopes they were somewhere that he could be dropped off in time to fly home for the funeral. I waited what seemed to be the longest 4 days. I wanted to be there to give him a hug. To try to console him. I finally got an e-mail Wednesday night, telling me that he knew about moms passing. What a reliefe but as our luck goes he wouldn't make it home in time. Infact I got a call while we were at the cemetary telling me that he was going to be home the next day. I felt so bad for him. He missed the funeral by a day. But we were most thankful that he was able to be home for a while.


You could often find Jean with a smile on her face. With open arms. She was so concerned with how the person was that she was talking to. She never stopped to complain about her troubles. She'd just say "oh I'm doing just fine, don't you worry". Her laugh was contagious. The love she had for her husband was definite. Her love for her Heavenly father was undeniable. Her love for her childeren was certian, for her grandchildren, unquestionable. She fulfilled her church callings with dignity. She had a love for life. She was patient, kind, forgiving, loving, caring, understanding, funny, and many other things. I can only pray that I may strive in my everyday life to be and do the things that she did. I will forever be thankful for her giving me the biggest blessing to be in my life, my husband. And now, my kinds may not get to be with their granny here on earth. But I know that she'll be giving them all her love before they come bless us.
"Families can be together for ever"

1 comment:

  1. This was just beautiful!! Jean is such an amazing person and example! She will definitely be very missed by so many! Thank goodness for the gospel and our knowledge that we can indeed see her and all of our loved ones again!

    ReplyDelete